Social Work Locum and Permanent Jobs

Aussie Locums works closely with social workers to help explore their next career move. By listening to your experience and career aspirations, we will identify opportunities that are suited to where you’re heading. We work with employers in a wide range of public and private settings, in urban centres and remote locations throughout Australia.

The opportunities for social workers continues to grow as the valuable personal and social well-being support they provide, increases in demand. Helping Australians navigate through mental health problems, alcohol or drug addiction, parental difficulties, abuse trauma, disability and unemployment, is a key service to aid the welfare of communities, regardless of size or location.


With a network that stretches from all major urban hubs and branches out to the far corners of Australia, we make it our business to understand and grow you career story.


Whether you are looking for a permanent position to elevate your career or seeking an outback Aussie locum adventure, our team will partner with you to find the perfect opportunity.


Our team is available 24/7. We know that sometimes things don’t go to plan and not everyone can call during the day, which is why we make it our business, to be available around the clock for your business.

Latest opportunities

As a social worker, you have a wealth of remarkable opportunities at your fingertips, regardless of whether you’re in the market for permanent or locum work.

There are no current vacancies advertised at this moment in time, but not all our jobs are advertised. Please contact us to register, or visit the jobs board to see our full list of vacancies.

Start looking for Social Working jobs

Say ‘hello’ to Terry Fitzgerald, Recruitment Consultant

Specialising in Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Podiatry, Nursing and Speech Pathology, Terry is an expert at finding the perfect role for you.

Phone: 0447 435 335

Why should I work with a recruitment agency?

We are professional recruitment consultants, with an extensive network of both candidates and clinics, hospitals and other care facilities. We make it our mission to get to know who we work with, so we can find the best fit for our candidates as well as for our clients. Some of our candidates become clients and vice versa, with many having been with us since we opened in 2008.

By gathering industry insights and identifying trends, we can capture opportunities before they even come to the market. Many of our candidates actively choose to work with us exclusively, which further builds on the detailed understanding of their needs which we have gained. By having a talented pool of social workers who we have got to know, our clients can be confident that we aren’t just passing on a resume, we are referring a person who we know beyond simply words on a page or a quick phone call.

I am trained overseas, how do I register as a social worker in Australia?

Social Work is a self-regulated profession. You need to hold membership with Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) to work as a Social Worker in Australia.

They provide 3 types of assessments.

1. Qualification Assessment for Migration Purposes
2. Qualification Assessment for Employment Purposes
3. Skilled Employment Assessment

The assessment criteria for 1 and 2 are the same, but the assessment notices are used differently. The assessment for migration forms part of your visa application to live and work in Australia and is used by The Australian Government – Department of Home Affairs. The assessment for employment (statement of AASW membership eligibility) is for employers when you apply for work in Australia.

If you are seeking to work in Australia as a Working Holiday Maker under the Youth Mobility program, you need to apply for a Qualification Assessment for Employment Purposes, which will make AASW membership eligible for you. The AASW do recommend that you also tick the migration purposes box too – you will get the assessment at no extra cost or time and you can provide it to the Department of Home Affairs if you decide to stay for a longer period, or if you need a different visa type.

If you have completed a recognised New Zealand social work qualification, are currently fully registered with the NZSWRB and are eligible to hold an Annual Practising Certificate (APC), you can apply under the Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA). Applicants who apply under this Agreement are still required to meet the English Language Requirements as per the AASW’s English Language Policy.

Correct working rights for Australia:
If you are intending to work in Australia, you will need to obtain correct visa to support your intended stay. You can find more information here: